The Birth of Our First Beautiful Daughter

I though I would start out by telling you about the first of our first daughter. It was not at all the experience that I though it would be but none-the-less I was thrilled that she made me a mom!

The week my first daughter was born was a very busy week. The monday was easter monday so I went shopping with my mom. It was a nice relaxing trip although I got stared at a lot because of my giant belly. I went to work on Tuesday 39 1/2 weeks pregnant and started training my replacement. As I was training her she was so nervous that I was going to have the baby before we completed the training but we managed to get through it.

On Wednesday I had an appointment with my midwife. I peed on the stick, weighed myself and was measured 39 cm. We then started the discussion about how long I wanted to be pregnant for since at my next appointment I would be considered overdue. The midwife told me about all the different ways that I could be induced if that is what I decided. She left me with all of the options and a week to think about it. That night we had our Kids Club BBQ. We were ending the kids program for the summer, I think a lot of parents were relieved that I was finished for the summer because I was making them nervous, they all seemed to think I was going to go into labour right then and there. I didn’t.

I took Friday off work, I had some vacation time and decided to get some work done around the house. It was a beautiful hot (maybe that was the hormones) sunny day. I finished sewing somethings for the baby’s room and then I went outside to rake the lawn. I managed to get the whole front yard raked but I could not bend over the pick up the leaves so I just left them. That night we had youth and then very tired I went to bed.

I woke up at 2:58 am on Week 40 feeling a little funny. I stood up and felt a little pop and all of a sudden my legs were all wet. In a panicked voice I told Mark my water had just broken so he got up and started packing for the hospital (we believe in doing things last minute, the baby’s bag was packed but ours were not). I called the midwife to tell them what had happened. She told me to try and get some sleep and she would call at 7am. I went back to bed trying to get some sleep but just as I was falling a sleep my contractions started. By 7am they were 4 minutes apart and getting stronger. The midwife came over and told me that I was almost 4cm dilated. I stayed at home until i was about 7cm and we left for hospital around 12:30. We were optimistic that our baby would be here by dinner time.

Once we got to the hospital my contractions were getting much stronger and much more painful. I spent a lot of time on a birthing ball with a nitrous oxide mask. This apparently helps to relieve some of the pain at the height of the contraction, i think it just provides something to scream into. The midwife and the birth attendant were really great and told me things were going very well and that I was doing well. I finally made it to 9 cm and that is where things went wrong. My contractions were becoming more and more painful because the baby was facing the wrong way. Everything hurt so much and my contractions were coming less and less frequent. The midwife told me that I was now 8cm dilated because I was starting to swell. The next little while I am a little hazy on. At some point the obstetrician was called in and an anesthesiologist came in. I remember being asked to sit still and not move (that was the comment that made me want to punch the doctor and he was a very nice man). After that I laid down and fell asleep. When I woke up I realized that I could not feel anything from chest down. I was very disappointed because I had hoped to do the whole delivery naturally without any drugs. The obstetrician prescribed me the epidural because nothing was progressing and I needed some rest. That was at 4:30pm.

I waited and waited for the baby to turn and someone to tell me to push. My mother and mother-in-law came by to see how things were going and to bring Mark some dinner. They were not going very well. Finally at 9:30pm the midwife told me that I could start pushing. I pushed until 10:45pm and the baby wasn’t moving and it was also starting to show signs of being in distress. The obstetrician was called again and got there at 11:10pm (I stared at the clock a lot hoping that the baby would come out soon). As she was getting scrubbed up I heard her tell the nurses to get the operating room ready. When I heard that I prayed as hard as I could, I did NOT want to go in there. The doctor told me she was going to try one last thing and got out a suction cup. She stuck it on the baby’s head and told me to push as hard as I could the next contraction. As I pushed, she pulled as hard as she could. Finally at 11:30pm our baby girl screamed and was placed immediately onto my chest. I was so happy.

Me and little A minutes after she was born 

It was a long and difficult delivery and did not happen how I imagined or how I wanted but my baby finally came out. I was just thankful that A was healthy and that I had such a fantastic husband and midwife.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s